How to Become a Responsible Drinker
- NEVER drink an drive.
- Only drink when you want to.
- Do not drink to intoxication.
- Drink water between drinks.
- Eat before you go out drinking Ė
- The rate at which alcohol is absorbed into the blood depends on how quickly the stomach empties its content into the intestines.
- People who ate a meal that included fat, protein and carbohydrates absorb alcohol three times more slowly than those that drank on an empty stomach.
- No more than one drink per hour.
- Limit drinks to 2 or less per day for males and 1 or less per day for females.
- Donít pressure others to drink.
- Have a designated driver before you go out.
- Donít leave your drink unattended. Any thing could be put into it when youíre back is turned.
- Know what you are drinking. If itís a mystery drink, avoid it.
- Look out for your friends drinking behavior.
- Know the signs of alcohol poisoning.
- Donít mix medications with alcohol.
- Heavy drinking transforms over the counter medications like Tylenol into chemicals that can cause liver damage.
Copyright © 2014 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois