OVCSA Home UIC Home default

Wellness Center

U R Questions

General Wellness

Where can I get treatment for a yeast infection?
Do I have hemorrhoids?
Are bone density tests covered by student insurance?
What services are available to diabetic patients?

QUESTION: Does UIC provide students with free medicine for yeast infections, such as Monistat? And where could I get it?

ANSWER: UIC does not provide students with free medication; the UIC Family Medicine Center does provide students with free testing for yeast infections, as well as other basic gynecological care, as provided by the student health fee that all students pay. Non-prescription yeast infection medication can be purchased at a variety of places, such as a grocery store, drug store, or pharmacy. If you are in need of a prescription medication, your clinician could write up a prescription to be filled at any pharmacy.

If this is your first infection, be sure to have your clinician check the discharge under a microscope to make an accurate diagnosis. Symptoms such as pain or burning with urination could indicate a urinary tract infection, which would require prescription antibiotics for treatment. Additionally, if you have recurrent yeast infections, it is recommended that you see your clinician.

If you would like to schedule an appointment with Family Medicine Center, please call 312-996.2901.

[Back to List]

QUESTION: How do I know if I have hemorrhoids?

ANSWER: For answers to clinical questions, please call the UIC Family Medicine Center at 312-996-2901 or check out their website at: http://chicago.medicine.uic.edu/fammed/

[Back to List]

QUESTION: Is bone density test included in the student insurance plan. If not where can one get one and how much does it cost approximately?

ANSWER: The bone density test, DEXA, is offered on campus in the Outpatient Care Center (OCC) at 1801 W. Taylor Street. To find out if it is covered under student insurance, please phone 312-996 4915.

The bone density test needs to be prescribed by your doctor in order to schedule an appointment for the test. The cost, without insurance, is approximately $326.

If you'd like to schedule an appointment with a clinician, please contact Family Medicine at 312-996.2901.

[Back to List]

QUESTION: What kinds of services on campus are offered to diabetic patients?

ANSWER: The Nutrition and Wellness Center located within the Medical Center on the West side of campus offers diabetes management classes. If you'd like to find out more information you can contact their office at 312.413.3631.

[Back to List]

Copyright 2014 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois