Drive to Thrive: Self-Care& the 8 Dimensions of Wellness
What is Self-Care?
The act of taking care of yourself.
Tip: Create a self-care regimen that promotes the wellbeing of all the 8 different dimensions of wellness.
8 Dimensions of Wellness:
- Emotional, spiritual, intellectual, physical, environmental, financial, occupational, and social
- To learn more about the 8 dimensions, check out this resource: https://wellnesscenter.uic.edu/news-stories/8-dimensions-of-wellness/
Benefits of Self-Care:
- Can help improve both your mental and physical health
- Helps develop healthy emotional responses
- Helps you stay present
Ways to practice self-care:
- Exercise your body for about 30 minutes a day (walking, lift weights, running, etc), practice the act of gratitude, eat a balanced diet, stay connected with loved ones, etc.
Things to remember:
- Your “self” is bigger than you
- Self-care is inclusive
- Self-care is not self-indulgence
- Self-care is difficult and worth the work
- Self-care is not one size fits all
- Scan QR Code for more information & resources on the UIC Wellness Center website!
View the ppt below to learn more information and tips on self-care.