Frequent Asked Questions (FAQs)
ve Heading link
Where is the Wellness Center located?
- Student Center East
- 750 S. Halsted Street suite 238
- Chicago, Il 60607
How do I contact the Wellness Center?
- Phone: 312-413-2120
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: wellnesscenter.uic.edu
What are the Wellness Center hours?
- Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
The Wellness Center sometimes is confused with other departments. It’s important to know the Center does not offer:
- Medical services
- Therapy / Counseling Services
- Dental services
What is the overall mission of the Wellness Center?
The overall mission of the Wellness Center is to provide students with health and wellness education and to help encourage healthy and safer lifestyle choices.
How is the Wellness Center adapting their events to COVID?
Amidst COVID-19, we have adopted a hybrid experience and services. For the safety of our staff, all workshops have moved online as well as our Wellness Coaching sessions. Our office and Pantry, on the other hand, have remained in-person utilizing COVID 19 safety precautions, for example, wearing masks and gloves and sanitizing materials consistently. We also have few in-person events for UIC students to foster a sense of community and take care of themselves.
How do the individual consultations/ Wellness Coaching session work in the Wellness Center?
First, it is important to know that Wellness Coaching is not therapy. We are health educators, not therapists. The Counseling Center, are mental health experts are the appropriate department to reach out to for therapy/counseling. Wellness Coaching is a one-time 60-minute session that helps students problem-solve through a variety of life and academic challenges like: time management, stress management, college transition, healthy eating, self-care, and/or conflict management. Our Wellness Coaching sessions are with a health educator via Zoom or phone. Students who utilize this service walk away with concrete solutions that they can immediately put to use. To schedule, an appointment fill out the Individual Consultation form on our website here: https://wellnesscenter.uic.edu/resources-and-services/individual-consultations/.
How do I know when Wellness Center events are?
Email the Wellness Center to be a part of our WellFlames Listserv to receive daily health education information as well as updates to any Wellness Center news such as Pantry dates and programming events. To learn more about our events please also, feel free to check the Wellness Center website, and UIC Life Instagram account as events will be posted periodically.
Can you provide a rough list of all the programming and services the wellness center has?
- Academic Workshops: to educate students on various topics like good studying habits and managing stress
- Lifestyle Workshops: such as safe sex, conflict management, building healthy relationships, and much more to build healthy behaviors and attitudes
- Emergency supplies: such as band-aids, tissues, and cough drops
- Pop-Up Pantry: for registered UIC students experiencing food insecurity
- Individual Consultations/ Wellness Coaching: sessions with a Health Educator to problem solve lifestyle challenges like: time management, stress management, college transition, or healthy eating
- Giveaways, DIY projects, Self Care events
- Comprehensive Website: On the Wellness Center website, there are multiple external resources and videos to help you succeed academically and become well-rounded individuals
- E-Advice “Dear Wellbe”
- WellFlames Listserv
How does the Pop-up Pantry work?
Co-founded in 2014 by the Wellness Center, the Pop-Up Pantry was created to help students who are missing meals and going hungry due to not having enough money. The Pop- up Pantry is open on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1-4pm to help registered UIC Students dealing with food insecurity. A quick registration is required prior to shopping the Pantry.
- 100% of the food in the Pantry comes from donations, so supplies are limited and may vary each week.
- Shoppers will find: milk, bread, eggs, fruit, vegetables, cereal, dried rice/pasta/potatoes, and canned items. (Supplies may vary)
- The pantry is temporarily located on the 6th floor of Student Center East (SCE)
- On pantry day, you must bring your I-card and your own grocery bags.
- Practice Covid- 19 safety precautions by wearing a mask (required to shop), standing on marked blue lines to maintain social distancing, and use hand sanitizer (upon arrival and departure).
- Once there, you will receive a basket and check in with a swipe of your I-card.
- When shopping, you have 8 points to shop (shelves are labeled), and you will check out with the student worker when finished. You will proceed to the bagging tables to pack your items (students must bring their own grocery bags).
- The Pantry is exclusively for registered UIC Students experiencing life emergencies or financial difficulties.
- For more information, visit our Pop Up Pantry tab on our website.