Generating Calm: Scratch Art
Promoting Health and Wellness Through Scratch Art Heading link
Prepared by UIC Sociology 490 Interns
Benefits of Scratch Art May Include…
- Improves Happiness: Partaking in scratch art allows the release of the dopamine hormone, known as the happy hormone. When one creates something, they feel feelings of pleasure and satisfaction.
- Reduces Stress Levels: When making art for just 45 minutes the stress hormone, cortisol, is reduced. This occurs because our mind is both relaxed and distracted.
- Promotes Creativity and Problem-Solving: Art stimulates the brain and prepares it for more complicated functions in the same way that learning a new language does. This activation can lead to enhancing your problem-solving abilities and your creativity in how you approach problems.
- Boosts Self-Esteem: When the artwork is complete, cortisol levels are low, and dopamine levels are high, a sense of accomplishment is achieved. Creating something is an empowering achievement.
- Way to Express Feelings: One’s art is unique and personal. It is a medium to express whatever feelings one may have with or without words.
- For more self-care ideas and other DIY projects, please visit the Wellness Center’s “Caring for Your Flame” webpage: https://wellnesscenter.uic.edu/caring-for-your-flame/
To see more benefits and how to DIY your Scratch Art piece of art at home visit the link below.
Modified on October 29, 2021